The facts to the development of the energy payback time is listed below (cf. Fraunhofer 2019, p. 8):
- In last 13 years, material usage for silicon cells has been reduced from around 16g/Wp to 4g/Wp.
- The Energy Payback Time of PV systems depends on the geographical location:
- Northern Europe needs around 2.5 years
- Southern Europe needs around 1.5 years and less.
- In Sicily, a PV system with multi-Si modules has an Energy Payback Time of around 1 year.
- And can produce around twenty times energy needed to produce it if the lifespan is 20 years.
- The Energy Payback Time for CPV-Systems in Southern Europe is even less than 1 year.